"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." - Phil. 4:13

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Tea Talk

Howdy everyone!

I'm here at McAlister's treating myself to salad and sweet tea after a long week of tests.  And, if you know anything about me, you know that this is not an unusual occurrence :)

To start of the blog with my first real post, I figured I'd do a general update about what is going on in my life....

I'm currently a first year student in the UAB Surgical Physician Assistant program, and about half-way through my first semester.  I'm really enjoying it, but nonetheless- it is still school, and I think anyone who says they love studying is completely crazy.  PA school is actually the primary reason I decided to start a blog.  For one thing, being so far away from home, I don't get a chance to catch up with many of my friends.  Secondly, a friend in med school told me that blogging helps with reflection and is almost like free therapy!  Maybe this will take a load off of those people who have to listen to me whine about stress and exams and such (thank you so much to those people, you know who you are!).  Anyway, I'm really loving it here, and no matter how much I complain, having classes that really pertain to your chosen profession is such a blessing.  This semester, I'm taking Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, Clinical Laboratory Medicine and Intro to the Profession.  Clin Lab is definitely my favorite thus far for a few reasons.  For one thing, Dr. Jennings is just always so excited about the subject and always uses a lot of clinical correlations to help make the information stick.  Also, I've never taken this class before - new and interesting information always makes things more enjoyable :).  

Another huge part of my life is my boyfriend, Frank. :)  We have been dating for a little over 2 months now, and it has been complete bliss.  Everyone always tells you when you're single that God has someone perfect picked out for you - well guys, he's the one.  I know you're not supposed to say that out loud, no matter how much you believe it, but I don't care.  I love him so much!  Here's some pictures of us...


He's so wonderful and such a strong man of God.  I don't know how I'd get through PA school and being away from home without him.  

Speaking of, I miss my family and friends so much.  Mom and Dad have been such rocks and amazing for me through this.  I can't wait until Thanksgiving when I get to go home for the first time since I moved in July!  

Anyway, some things I'm excited about right now...

One of the girls in the PA program had an idea to start a Bible study with a group of girls, and originally they were going to have it on Sunday evenings.  Unfortunately, Frank and I are a part of a home group that meets at the same time so I wasn't going to be able to go, but they just decided to change the time and I get to go now!  We will be going through the book Passing the Test: A Bible Study for Physician Assistant Students.  Who knew someone wrote a book so specific to us?!?  The first one is on Monday and I'm so excited!!

Also, yesterday was National PA Day (WHOOP!) and the Alabama Society of PA's provided the PA students with a free lunch (double WHOOP!).  I met a PA who works in the Trauma Center at UAB Hospital - which is what I want to do - and we're going to work out a time for me to do some shadowing!  Honestly, the only trauma experience I have is with a few car and bike wrecks on campus as an EMT, but for some reason, I think I would really love it!  The PA program actually offers a trauma track, where your extra clinical rotations are spent in the Trauma Center.  I'm so excited to get some early experience, and to actually see how much I will love it (or not).  

Well thats about it for my life right now!  Thanks for reading!  Time to go to Anatomy; I think we're learning about the genitourinary system... oh joy.

Gig 'Em and War Eagle,
Catie

No comments:

Post a Comment